If you are anything like me (and I feel like we are kindred spirits in this fabulous community!) when you received the news that you were celiac one of your top five thoughts was “but what about Christmas?!” So, in light of the holidays (which I am a HUGE fan of) I will be focusing on delightful desserts, amazing appies and classy classics! Get ready for the first ever Holiday Recipe Extravaganza!
Now I know we all have holiday favorites but this is MY favorite; so much so that family only refers to them as “Cassandra’s Favorite Cookies”. So go ahead and bake up a batch of these delicious Gluten Free Holiday Cookies!
1 cup. Shortening
1 1/2 cups White Sugar
1 tsp Almond Extract
2 cups. All Purpose Flour (we used Pamela’s Baking and Pancake Mix)
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 cup Chocolate Chips
1 1/2 cups. Coconut
1 1/2 cups. Maraschino Cherries, quartered
1) Preheat the oven to 350. Cream the shortening and sugar is a large bowl with an electric mixer until well blended.
2) Add eggs and extract to the mixture, beating on medium speed until light and creamy, about 2 minutes.
3) In a smaller bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the cream mixture gradually beating on a low speed just until blended.
4) Stir in the chocolate chips, coconut and cherries. Drop the dough by small spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Pro tip: Forgot to soften butter/margarine before hand? Put a square or dish by the back left hand burner of your stove while you mix everything, the heat from the preheating oven will soften it for you!
5) Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
Tip: These cookies flaten like crazy, more so when they are gluten free. I’m told a tsp of Xanthan gum will help! (We just picked some up from the gluten free general store!)
Next week I will be baking up a Carrot Cake as per a request from one of our fantastic followers!
Have a great week and stay warm!
Xoxo – Cass
Cassandra Edwards is our NEW resident recipe blogger. She will be posting gluten-free recipes every week on our blog for you to enjoy at home. Have a request? One of your favourite foods you’d love to see a gluten-free version of? Tweet us at @gfyyc or email us at email@example.com.