This chicken recipe just cannot be called anything else. Uncle Bill’s chicken is the only thing it has been known as for my entire life. Fittingly, my Uncle Bill, a real guy, and my real great uncle, made it up, and it’s been in the family for years. It’s simple, delicious, and only requires 5 ingredients total. This is a favorite in all seasons, and can be done skewered on the BBQ in the summer, or baked in the oven in the colder months. It is melt in your mouth good, healthy, easy, and naturally gluten free.
- 3 chicken breasts (turkey breasts can be substituted)
- 1 ½ cups 7-Up (according to Uncle Bill, you cannot substitute Sprite or anything else!)
- Black pepper (2 tablespoons or a generous amount of freshly ground)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup soy sauce – ensure that it is gluten free, MANY contain barley so are not
- Dice chicken breasts into bite size cubes
- Mix all other ingredients in large bowl
- Add chicken to bowl, cover
- Marinate for 5 hours in fridge, 1 more hour on counter prior to cooking. The chicken will soak in the marinade and take on a dark color. The carbonation from the 7-Up tenderizes the meat.
- Pre-heat oven to bake at 350
- Add chicken to shallow baking dish and cover with a portion of the liquid
- Cook uncovered for 25 minutes
- Serve with rice or quinoa, and use cooked liquid over rice
Makes 2-4 servings. To use BBQ method instead, follow same recipe and after chicken has marinated for 6 hours, skewer and BBQ until cooked all the way through. Enjoy!