It’s week two of our Holiday extravaganza and I hope your headaches aren’t raging like mine over the shifts in weather this past week! If they are, this recipe will at least make your house smell like Christmas spice! This was a favorite of my Mom’s and my wife absolutely raves about (and she normally won’t touch pineapple).
This weeks recipe is… Mom’s Carrot Cake!
2 cups. White Sugar
1/2 cup. Coconut, shredded is best
2 cups. Carrots, peeled then shredded (I just used the cheese grater!)
1. 14oz can, Crushed Pineapple
1 1/4 cups. Oil OR Applesauce (oil can be replaced cup for cup with applesauce!)
1 cup. Raisins
2 1/2 cups. All Purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Cloves
Let’s make it!
1) Preheat oven to 325. Cream sugar, eggs and oil (or applesauce) with an electric mixer on medium speed. Prep remaining ingredients while these ingredients are creaming (the longer the better!)
2) Shred carrots. Add Pineapple, Carrots, Coconut and Raisins to creamed mixture. Continue to cream.
3) In a separate bowl combine Flour, Baking Soda, Salt, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Cloves. Add dry mixture to the wet mixture slowly and continue to beat only until mixed, longer is not better at this point!
4) Grease or line a 9×13 inch pan and fill with the batter. Bake for 60 minutes and enjoy the delicious Christmas-y aroma while you sing carols and deck the halls!
This weeks recipe was a special request from one of our fabulous followers!
Also, I am thrilled to announce that I will be donating items to this fantastic bake sale upcoming this weekend. Make sure you come out if you can and look for the recipe next week!
Xoxo – Cass
Cassandra Edwards is our NEW resident recipe blogger. She will be posting gluten-free recipes every week on our blog for you to enjoy at home. Have a request? One of your favourite foods you’d love to see a gluten-free version of? Tweet us at @gfyyc or email us at email@example.com.